So why?

Off on a diving trip with a difference, - A holiday but helping to restore ecosystem balance on the reefs...... I couldn't resist.

A promise was made by ReefCI the NGO I went to work with that I would make a difference.

I did!
(this blog will not be grammatically correct - this I know -don't complain - just enjoy, and laugh at me if you can't laugh with me. ;-)


Tuesday, December 3, 2013

And....... back to Tom Owens Caye

This week we are joined by Jason Guy, the marine biologist for ReefCI.  

Jason trained us in commercial fish stock surveying, and, by using spot the guard dogs coconuts as a target, how to spear fish safely with minimum air consumption.

On the Monday we returned to the island it was clearly a priority to make sure that all the essentials were still functioing properly before we started the actual scuba diving. 

Ruby and Paul - making sure the hammocks were still fully functional

Then later during the Monday afternoon we had an absolutely amazing dive. 

As you can see below I have now moved on to being able to confidently photograph moving fish, without chopping off their tails or heads in the shot. 

During Monday afternoons dive I was just plain lucky to be center stage, when a shoal of Atlantic Spade fish navigated around us.  I think they were genuinely inquisitive as to who or what were we. 

A shoal of Atlantic Spadefish - not seen often

I also managed to capture a moving Pork Fish. Now this did surprise me.  I thought I had only captured the back half. 



And then during the same dive we came across this sleepy head. This nurse shark, continued sleeping like a baby on the sandy bottom even though it was surrounded by 5 divers at one point. 
One very sleepy Nurse Shark

Spotted Trunk Fish - A little shy

How to properly spear a lionfish

As to our divers, clearly their confidence had increased as can be seen from this photo of Paul managing to pull off a dance move or two underwater. :-)




This was obviously counterbalanced by the cool dude approach of Simon who plainly  looked calmly pleased to be back in the water. 

Simon looking for pleased to be being back below SWL


And then when we got back to the island before the evening meal I was treated to the best sunset ever.  

Good for the Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment