So why?

Off on a diving trip with a difference, - A holiday but helping to restore ecosystem balance on the reefs...... I couldn't resist.

A promise was made by ReefCI the NGO I went to work with that I would make a difference.

I did!
(this blog will not be grammatically correct - this I know -don't complain - just enjoy, and laugh at me if you can't laugh with me. ;-)


Sunday, December 1, 2013

Really Eventful Day - Part 2 - I speared my first Lionfish

Following a really lovely dive in the morning we went out for Dive 2 in a heightened state of expectation with Abby and Tracy to complete a commercial fish survey of the reef we were diving on for 11am. 

This dive was amazing for 2 reasons. 

Check out the photos below for some of the stuff.  But also one of our team lost one side of her weights and managed to complete a controlled assent by following all the rules. 

Amazing. 

The fish survey though had a great session.

That's a lot of Bar Jacks and there were Horse Eyes in there too


Green Moray - Isn't he a Beauty?
Amongst all the good stuff, one or two of these were in evidence and leaving them there would have left the health of the reef at risk. 

A LionFish - Scourge of the Caribbean Sea


So Polly taught me how to spear a lionfish on dry land.  Of course on dry land is a lot easier than doing it under water.  But I had a go and yes I did it.  I carefully aimed and followed the instructions.  I got one on the first go.  I was actually so pleased I nearly speared Polly with the Lionfish.  

Sorry Polly.  

Won't do that again sooooo -  can I have another go?

Polly demonstrating how to do it properly

No comments:

Post a Comment