So why?

Off on a diving trip with a difference, - A holiday but helping to restore ecosystem balance on the reefs...... I couldn't resist.

A promise was made by ReefCI the NGO I went to work with that I would make a difference.

I did!
(this blog will not be grammatically correct - this I know -don't complain - just enjoy, and laugh at me if you can't laugh with me. ;-)


Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dive 3 - Training in Species ID and how to spot them for real

Both Tracy and Simon have been training our group on how to spot and ID different fish by their predominant characteristics.  

Surprisingly we learned that colour is not a characteristic to ID a species of fish, as many fish change their colour for camouflage and by time of day to suit changing and latent environmental conditions. 

Simon showed us a video of the migration if Lion  fish along the coast of the USA into the carribbean, and up the North East Coast.  

Our group now know how to identify the;
Discs and Ovals (AngelFish, Butterflyfishes, and Surgeonfishes)
Sloping heads and tapered bodies (Grunts and Snappers)
Heavy bodies. / Large Lips (specifically the Groupers)
Swim with Pectoral Fins (Parrotfishes)

We were then sent out to dive and find some really great examples. 

Oh yes!
And do we have photos?! 

So when I can I will post some of the photos.  
We also learned how to ID some small reef creatures Specific mollusks, Echinoderms, and Banded coral shrimp.
A Flamingo Tongue ( it was loaded up the right way round)

Another Flamingo Tongue (also loaded the right way round)

Sid the Spiny Lobster ( I think)

For all this work and studying our prize on this dive was to see a sting ray and a spiny lobster. 

All in all a great days diving and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment