So why?

Off on a diving trip with a difference, - A holiday but helping to restore ecosystem balance on the reefs...... I couldn't resist.

A promise was made by ReefCI the NGO I went to work with that I would make a difference.

I did!
(this blog will not be grammatically correct - this I know -don't complain - just enjoy, and laugh at me if you can't laugh with me. ;-)


Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Of Surveys, and a reef named No-Mans Land

 Before I Start - important message for mum.  

There is so much fish and coral life here I have run out of camera battery in less than 2 dives. 

Muuuum (plaintive cry of lesser spotted juvenile Hazell) - can I have another camera battery for Christmas?  Please? 

Today started with a conch survey.  We found and measured 8 of them. I found out too today that Conchs are not stationary.  They move!  One actually jumped when our Instructor went to lift it.  We measured the main spike to front length, the total underside length (the pink bit of the shell) and using callipers the thickness of the "lip" in the middle. 

I was chief holder of the pencil and wrote down all the measurements on the team slate underwater.  Having surveyed a good selection, we then had a good 20 minutes of diving for pleasure. 

Our second dive of the day included a photographic view of Jacks reef. It started with a pod of dolphins, that "roomie steph" was able to photograph whilst we were in transit to the site

The dolphins who met us on our dive
Dolphin Picture taken by my Roomie Steph


The dolphins revisited us during the dive and clicked and whistled at us.

I was finally let loose with my camera. 
Unfortunately after this and the third dive the battery in my camera died... :-(

Some might say that was a good thing. But not before I was able to take some pictures. 


Hog Fish


Great Barrel Sponge

Banded Coral Shrimp

As soon as I can get to a location where I can upload more photos I'll get you to meet Polly, who is patiently training us (Steph, Libby, and I) in photography.

Polly our Photographic Trainer.    
 (Yes I know the photo is upside down (the version I upload is the right way up).  Bizarre huh?)

If you want to see how underwater photography should really be done.  Check out Polly's photographs from the same day at ReefCI's website on this link

Polly & Reef CI Photos

As to the Lion Fish we saw that day.  Thanks to Tracy our Instructor (pictured below) and Abigail - 32 Lion fish were no longer able to procreate at 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 eggs per year. 

 
Tracy our Instructor and 32 Lion fish
 
These Lion fish were then eaten for our evening meal as a sushi dish,  Ceviche.  Delicious and Appropriate. 





No comments:

Post a Comment